The history of Majorelle garden and the two great artists ‘Jacques Majorelle’ and ‘YSL’
Marrakech Majorelle garden is one of the most tourist attraction site in Morocco. Since 1920 and during forty years of passion and dedication, the French painter Jacques Majorelle (1886-1962) created in the heart of the red city this charming garden. It compounds marble pools, high trails, banana trees, bamboo groves, palm trees and bougainvillea (Vines of South America). Water is the major important thing in the garden; there are channels, ponds and fountains that give a favorable living environment for lots of aquatic plants.
After years of abandon, the garden was taken over and restored by the designer Yves Saint Laurent in association with his partner Pierre Berge. They saved the garden from being a victim of a real estate project and becoming a resort. The new owners took on charge the restoration of the garden with a touch of fashion designer to make Majorelle garden the most beautiful garden with consideration of its founder Jacques Majorelle’s vision. An automatic irrigation system was installed according to the specific needs of each plant. And new plant’s species have been incorporated passing from the initial number of 135 to 300 plants in 1999. In addition, a team of 20 gardeners was assigned to the maintenance of plants, ponds and fountains. The painter’s studio has been transformed into a public museum dedicated to Berber culture. It has some special Berber personal collection of Yves Saint Laurent, who said that he found an unlimited source of inspiration in this Garden.
After the death YSL on 1st June 2008 in Paris, a memorial was built in the garden, designed around a Roman pillar that was brought from Tangiers and set on a foundation bearing his name. On 27th November 2010, the street where Majorelle Garden is located was renamed in his honor: Yves Saint Laurent Street. Indeed, the Royal Princess Lalla Salma inaugurated Yves Saint Laurent and Morocco exhibition in the garden’s museum. It was visited by nearly 50 000 people and then it unveiled the new street sign.